Round 2 Recap
September 5, 2021 by Bennett Wineka in Recap with comments
Moving day at Maple Hill is always good for fireworks and the 2021 edition was no difference.
- Even though leader Eagle McMahon tied for the hot round on Saturday with a 1070-rated, 8-under par, he was only able to add one stroke to his overall advantage and sits four strokes clear of the field at 17-under par total. While he parked just 6% of holes, tied for the least in the top 10, he also gained the most strokes in Circle 1X of any player in the top 35 (1.57). McMahon looked momentarily uncomfortable around the time he picked up his lone bogey of the round on hole 16, but recovered nicely with a birdie on hole 17 even after a slip, and scrambled well for par on the finishing hole.
- Remaining in a tie for second and on the lead card at 13-under par are Adam Hammes and Joel Freeman, who both recorded 7-under par rounds on moving day. The stretch of holes between 8 and 12 was impressive for the entire lead card Saturday, as McMahon, Hammes, and Ricky Wysocki all had five straight birdies. Freeman was only 2-down on the stretch but hit three C2 putts to save par and keep pace. Hammes was among the highest birdie percentage, 56%, and offset a few of those under par holes with three bogeys.
- Wysocki’s 6-under par drops him into a tie for fourth with Matt Orum at 12-under par, but off the lead card due to Orum’s 7-under par round. He was sitting in solo second place at 14-under par before going OB twice on the finishing hole for a double-bogey. Orum could have easily been in the mix at second if not for three two-putts during the round.
- Calvin Heimburg (T-6th), Paul McBeth (T-8th), and Matt Bell (T-8th) matched McMahon’s hot round 8-under and moved up 8, 16, and 36 spots, respectively.
- Congrats to Dylan Capaccioli (T-44th) for acing hole 5.
“Hole 17 I slipped out, and I actually fell on hole 6 yesterday. It’s kind of stressing the Achilles pretty bad. So it took me a little while to get up on 17, but I’m a little bit more frustrated because I tore my brand new pair of Lululemon pants on that shot, so that actually hurts quite a lot.” – Eagle McMahon.