Round 1 FPO Recap
June 23, 2021 by Anthony Mikos in Recap with comments
Ultiworld Disc Golf’s coverage of the 2021 PDGA Pro World Championships is presented by Skybreed Discs, a top online retailer and preferred vendor of the 2021 Ledgestone Insurance Open, and Aria Discs, a new disc golf brand making discs designed for beginners.
The Open Women’s division opened play at the 2021 PDGA Pro Worlds on the wooded Fort course. Scores are extremely tight for the top of the leaderboard as no player was able to create any separation.
- After a slow start that included back-to-back bogeys over the opening six holes, Paige Pierce got things moving on Tuesday to take the day one lead at 3-under par total. Pierce was 100% from Circle 1X and added consecutive Circle 2 birdies on holes 7 and 8 to highlight a strong putting day. If it weren’t for a double-bogey on hole 18 after finding OB, her only hazard stroke of the round, Pierce would be well in the driver’s seat heading over to Mulligans.
- Sarah Gilpin was in the clubhouse earlier than the feature cards and she carried the lead into it with her. The Iowan tied for Madison Walker (T-5th) for fewest strokes recorded over par. Gilpin and Hailey King are one strokes behind Pierce at 2-under par total.
- Valerie Mandujano wraps up the lead card for round 2. She’s in fourth at 1-under par. After some early troubles, Manduajno went 3-under par to finish the day starting with a birdie on hole 5.
- The long jam in fifth at even par include Lisa Fajkus, Catrina Allen, Kristin Tattar, and Walker. We’ll talk about Walker again because she was feeling it on the long putts by hitting three from C2 compared to five two-putts from C2.
- In her return to competitive action, Sarah Hokom is 4-over par in a tie for 15th.